Newstex is looking for a Weblog Feed Assistant to help grow the company’s pool of 2,000 blogs and video feeds.
The assistant will peruse RSS feeds and describe them to the Newstex computer system, so that the system may automatically obtain blog articles and videos and sell them to for-profit clients. The assistant will also take screenshots of blogs with simple image software, and assemble various spreadsheet reports to help the company measure blog performance.
Training is provided. The position utilizes Firefox web forms to enter and manage feed information and related analytical reports. This is NOT a web-design, graphic-design, or software-development position. This position DOES require a basic understanding of blog feeds or online video subscription services.
- Pay rate $10/hour to start
- Telecommute from your home computer
- Play an entry-level technical role in cutting-edge media
- Examine Atom/RSS files
- Map RSS tags such as “title” or “author” to corresponding database fields such as “headline” and “byline”
- Translate blog URLs such as myblog.com/page1.html into blog names such as My Blog, using regular expressions
- Contact bloggers regarding minor technical issues
- Produce periodic Excel spreadsheet reports and occasional instructional documentation
- Take screen snapshots and save them as JPEG files
- Additional related responsibilities assigned by Newstex
- Experience with blogs, journalism, or new media
- Experience with RSS newsreaders
- Fluency in XHTML or RSS
- Available 20-30 hours per week
- Fast Internet connection (cable or DSL)
- 17-inch or larger computer monitor to facilitate screenshot work
- Possession of image software or familiarity with online image tools such as Picnik
- Possession of, and experience with, Microsoft Excel
- Enthusiastic, resourceful, well-organized, self-starter
- Accuracy in typing
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
- Professional written communication skills
- Access to Adobe Photoshop CS3 software on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) in order to run some image automations. Actual Photoshop skills are not required.
To apply send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.