This month, Twitter is celebrating reaching a significant milestone by thanking its users through a blog post saying, “Five years ago, Twitter came to life when @jack sent the first tweet to his seven followers. Now, 100 million active users around the globe turn to Twitter to share their thoughts and find out what’s happening in the world right now.”
That’s an impressive period of growth for Twitter, which will soon be available in 17 languages. However, the numbers get more interesting when you look at them on a more personal level. Twitter provides the following tidbits about its user base:
- 35 global heads of state user Twitter as a primary way to communicate with their people.
- 84% of U.S. state governors use Twitter.
- Every major U.S. Presidential candidate has used Twitter.
- More than 40% of the top global religious leaders use Twitter.
- Over 99% of the United States’ top 200 non-profit organizations are on Twitter.
- 66% of NBA players use Twitter.
- Every team in the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and MLS uses Twitter.
- 87% of the Billboard’s Top 100 musicians of 2010 use Twitter.
- Each of the top 50 Nielsen-rated TV shows are on Twitter.
- 40% of Twitter’s active users sign in to listen but don’t actively publish tweets.
Who would have thought five years ago when that first tweet was published to just seven followers that Twitter would grow to 100 million active users around the world? And who would have thought that the simple site would eventually play such a significant role in world events, enabling people to spread news faster and wider than ever before? It really is amazing to think about.
In the spirit of recognizing Twitter users, Newstex would like to recognize the many Authoritative Content publishers who syndicate their Twitter content through Newstex. As the statistics above prove, Twitter is a valuable source of information and conversations from a wide variety of people, businesses, brands, and organizations. I’m sure the next five years in the Twitter timeline will bring more authoritative voices and more content that matters to people around the world!